My photo
I don't really care if you agree or not. Just saying what I think.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Sons of Guns - I'm officially done...


Why? Well, the last episode entitled "Meat Chopper" has so much stupid in it that my head actually hurt when I was done watching it. I've given this show the benefit of the doubt for as long as I can possibly stand. Every episode ups the ante to absolute ridiculousness - First they built guns, then they built a 2 gun rig, then a 3 gun rig - this episode, a 4 gun rig and next week they are suppressing a grenade launcher. Is it interesting to see them make impractical compensation trophies, but now it's getting out of hand. But that's not even what is bothering me.

To give you an idea of what is going on - guy comes in and asks for a quad-mg42 anti-aircraft gun. Why? Because that's what Discovery Channel paid the actor to say. On top of that, the "client" asks for an impossible deadline that Will is all to happy to try and meet. So Charlie and Joe decide that they need to build some model airplanes to shoot. Charlie asks Joe if batter will explode when you shoot then. Joe says, "Yes, Lithium Polymer batteries will explode when you shoot them." Charlie hits us with a virtual fist pump and "YES!"

Case in point - Lithium polymer batteries do not explode when you shoot them.
Evidence:



Did it end there? Heck no! I've got one better...

So some guy (probably the key grip) comes in and says, "I'm left handed and I need my AR15 changed over to left hand...
So Charlie busts out with this gem... "If you fire a right handed rifle left hand, hot shell casings are going to be hitting you in the face." That's a true statement... UNLESS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT AN AR15!!!

As a design feature, the AR-15 and its variants deflect brass at a 1 o'clock position (read: forward) so the military doesn't have to make a bunch of left-handed rifles.
"A spent case deflector was incorporated into the upper receiver immediately behind the ejection port to prevent cases from striking left-handed users." [Venola, Richard (2005). "What a Long Strange Trip It's Been". Book of the AR-15 1 (2): 6–18.]

My favorite part is the pretty animation, showing the brass ejecting backward. Now watch what happens when our lefty shooter fires his newly modified AR-15.. Yep, that's brass ejecting forward. Plus, why couldn't this idiot just buy a left-upper - it's just 2 pins to change - but that leads my suspicion that 98% of this show is scripted.

But wait! There's more - and this is the one that made my eyes bleed...

Some guy comes in with a pair of what he thinks are WWII Walther P38's for appraisal... on the same week they are building MG-42's... (coincidence?)

Anyway, Will really knows about guns so he lets him know that he as a P38 and the later (non-WWII) aluminum framed P1. Then he goes into a small history snippet of the Walther P38 and the geniuses at Discovery roll this clip. Pay close attention to the German holding the "P38" - Notice anything?


Yep, that's a Luger...

Not a P38
A Luger...

Good job, Discovery Channel hippies. Way to nail the learnin' factor! What burns me is that this is the Discovery Channel - you know, for science 'n' stuff! At this point it may as well be Tru TV.

I can't tell you how done I am with this show. I tried, I really did - but there's only so much stupid one can take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment