My photo
I don't really care if you agree or not. Just saying what I think.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

How to Gravy 




I've decided that it's time to share a few things about how I cook.  I'm awesome at manly cooking and I want to share a bit of my wisdom with the masses.  Because I care?  Heck no!  Because if I come to your house to eat, I don't want it to taste like crap.

Let's begin with gravy.

Gravy is the elixir of life.  It is the topping for everything delicious and it comes in many amazing forms.  In this series, I will explore 3 types of gravy, White, Brown, and Turkey.  When you are done, you too will be able to gravy like me!


Part 1
White

White gravy is the easiest gravy ever and is also know as the most awesome gravy of all gravies.  White gravy can be made from pork products and cover anything form Pork Chops or Chicken all the way to biscuits.  If you don't like white gravy, leave now...  de-friend me on Facebook and godspeed.  White gravy is amazing and here is how to make the most amazing white gravy ever.

What you need:

3 tbsp Fat - this can either be drippings, butter, or both.
3 tbsp Flour
1 tsp Corn Starch
1 cup Chicken Stock or drippings (strained)
1 to 2 cups Milk
Salt and Pepper

Step 1 - making the slurry.

Every gravy starts with a slurry.  The slurry is there to prevent lumping and promote overall smoothness.  The slurry is made from the fat, flour, and corn starch.

Example 1:  You have just cooked some delicious pork sausage and want to make some gravy for your awesome biscuits.  Use a slotted spoon and remove the sausage, leaving the fat.

Example 2:  You have just cooked up some fine chickens.  You have no chicken grease, so you grab 3 tablespoons of butter and melt them in a pan.

To make the slurry, your fat must be hot and melted.  If you are using example 1, your drippings are already hot and ready.  If you are using example 2, melt your butter.

Hastily sift 3 tablespoons of flour with a teaspoon or two of corn starch.  Drop the dry ingredients into the hot fats and use a wisk to stir until you have a fine paste.  THIS IS YOUR SLURRY.  Don't burn it.  Move quickly to step two.

Step 2 - Wets.

Add a cup of chicken stock or drippings to the slurry and wisk,  Then add any a cup or two of milk.  Bring it to a boil.  It will now thicken.  Once it comes to a boil, remove from heat.

Step 3 - Season

Salt and pepper to taste.  Lots of pepper if you are awesome like me.  And HEY!  don't forget to put all that sweet, sweet sausage back into your gravy for added amazing.

Step 4 - Gravy

You have now successfully gravied.  Pat yourself on the back.  Your gravy is now smooth, rich and creamy. Put it on your potatoes, biscuits, or over your pork chops.  

Stay tuned for the next installment where we will cover beef gravy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment