My photo
I don't really care if you agree or not. Just saying what I think.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Speech.

I heard some rumblings about Obama's little speech that he is going to give to the kids today about a week ago. Roxy called me last week and asked me about it. I told her that I didn't think that the O-man was that stupid. Surely he knew better than to grandstand to the children rather than just give a "stay in school" talk. Today is the day, and it is getting a little dicey out there regarding this speech. Critics of Obama say that he is trying to indoctrinate our kids, supporters say that it's stupid and hey didn't G HW Bush speak with kids in 1991? (side note, Congress actually investigated Bush, 41 over his speech and held hearings).


Here's what I think.

Why I have a problem with it.
Isn't this the same president that taught America that if a cop responds to a call and does his job, he is stupid. Isn't this the same president who taught America that we can solve everything with a beer. Great Job. Now that you have got that "liquor is awesome" thing established, go talk to my kids in a "captive audience" setting and get them to like you. Please tell my kids that it is ok to fail because it makes you stronger while you sign another bail-out bill. Or teach my kids about personal responsibility while you deny personal relationships with racist pastors or cabinet members who have shady histories. Besides, I read the transcript and I can assure you that he is not talking to my kids. My kids don't aspire to be rappers or basketball stars.

Why I have no problem with it.
Big deal. So the president is going to speak to the kids. Whoop-dee-do. I have (at least I believe that I do) a good enough relationship with my kids that I am not concerned. The kids know where we stand morally and ethically. If anything, this will be a good experience for Ben and Matt (mostly Ben) because it will give Roxy and I an opportunity to talk with them about the inner workings of the government, politics, and what we believe.

I guess the bottom line is that as much as it pains me to have my children even gaze upon that idiot, it's just not worth getting all worked up over. Obama is going to try to get in front of our kids every time he can, not to do good, but so that when these kids grow they will remember him as a great president and Obama can save his legacy.

That's it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment