My photo
I don't really care if you agree or not. Just saying what I think.

Friday, November 20, 2009

The Solution?

One of my biggest problems with my cell phone is that I cannot talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time. The Iphone, WinMo phones, Android phones, etc all share a common interface which includes built in web apps as well as email. This multi-tasked environment has allowed users to use the phone while looking for contacts, checking a document, and even reading through downloaded email. Bright though this spot may be, functionality for web apps such as exchange/LDAP mail, maps, or web browsing is destroyed while the user is using the voice network.

Now, I'm not qualified as a cell phone network engineer, but I will say that from what I understand, the cell phone and its internet connection works kind of like a dial-up phone with dial-up internet - you can use one or the other and not both at the same time. (I'm sure not even the Droid can do it, Mike.)

Currently on any phone platform there are apps that utilize SIP VOIP for voice over protocol such as google talk, skype, etc. The popularity of these apps are staggering. In fact, according to one article, over 40 countries are utilizing VOIP cell phones right now.

So why aren't major cell companies latching on to this phenomena? The application of a internet only phone with built in VOIP should be a no-brainer for companies like Sprint and Verizon. Infrastructure is already in place to phase out regular voice connections, why not build VOIP into your 3G/4G networks? Give us a service that makes our cell phones truly multitask by allowing a QoS managed VOIP right on our phone. Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment