My photo
I don't really care if you agree or not. Just saying what I think.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Avoiding Bacon-Lung and other Stories of Peril

I spent most of last week trying to avoid Porkulosis and the other, lesser known ou812 and ID10T viruses.  Aside from that, I did my best to remain at work, ball practice, ball games, young mens, and it was our week to clean the church (Although, I showed up too late to help...  oops).  Not content that "The Other White Flu" didn't kill me, my wife tried her best to this weekend with a non-stop "drive-around-everywhere-lift-carry-build-get-this-get-that-I-can't-reach-could-you-please-clean-up-dead-mouse-remains" marathon that lasted until yesterday evening and will probably continue as soon as I get home tonight.  Despite all of this, I stayed fairly plugged-in to the political happenings in "Mother Amerika".


First off is good ol' Joe Biden who this week was asked about what he feels most humble about since taking on the office of Vice President.  His answer... 

"Everywhere I go, crowds spontaneously assemble. They start to cheer... whether I go to a play on Broadway or I'm going home to Wilmington, Delaware. I walk on the train and people stand up and clap."

Way to go, Joe.  It wasn't bad enough for you to try to single-handedly destroy the New York transit system with your answer to pigluenza - this is just priceless.  Thanks.

Next up is the news story to day that Obama is working with Congress to pass laws making it almost illegal to move your money out of America.  'Cause if you do, we can't tax it.  One of the problems I have always had with higher taxes is that they remove incentive to invest and earn and create a climate of panic which causes people with money to hide it in other countries.  Apparrently Obama realizes that problem, too.  So his answer is not to lower taxes, but to make it illegal for you to do what you want with your money.  Good job, Obama.

Lastly, I want to thank Obama for giving his criteria for the next supreme court justice.  A judge is an impartial "umpire" who weighs all facts and them makes a decision based on legal criteria.  In the case of the Supreme Court, the legal criteria is the Constitution.  Article III Section 2 of the US Constitution states, 

"Court shall have appelate jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make."  

In my mind, this implies that a Judge is a person who can leave emotion at the door and rule based on fact and law.  What does Obama's mind say?  This... 

“I will seek someone who understands that justice isn’t about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a case book. ..... I view that quality of empathy, of understanding and identifying with people’s hopes and struggles as an essential ingredient for arriving at just decisions and outcomes.”

wow.  

Have a nice day, folks.

1 Comment:

  1. TheFirehouse said...
    Since when is "empathy" a trait related to impartiality?

Post a Comment