So I decided to satisfy my "Taco Bell" tooth with a quick drive thru at lunch. The restaurant in question is on the other side of the highway, about 6 miles away. If I play my cards right, I can swing in and be back to the office in about 15 minutes. So I made my getaway and drove over to my favorite purveyor of canned-pseudo-Mexican delicacies. I got in line (2nd in line) behind a young lady in a white Chevy SUV. I waited... ...and waited. ...and waited. ...and waited. 5 or so minutes later, I was still waiting for some noise to come from the speaker to ask the woman for her order. But it didn't come. I was starting to get angry at Taco Bell employees but I waited some more. I couldn't believe their incompetence. It's easy, just take the order and let some one cook it. I have been to slow drive-thru's before, but this was starting to get a little ridiculous. Then I heard it. From out of the window of the SUV I heard:
"Okay! I'm ready now."
Wait, WHAT! This woman had been sitting in the drive thru line for more than 5 minutes casually perusing the menu. KAJDFJAEIOWFJJFKLNKLVJNADL!!!
OK. Let's talk about the rules of the drive thru.
Fact:
Drive thru is for quick food, not for being too lazy to go inside. Although I do realize the irony of that statement and being lazy and eating fast food. That's not the point!
Rules
1. KNOW WHAT YOU WANT! The drive thru is for quick in and out ordering. Perusing the menu is something you do inside. There are people in line behind YOU. Hurry up!
2. No special orders beyond "No onions" or "plain" or "mustard only" Ordering a burger with "extra pickles, no mayo, add lettuce, cut it in half and make sure my fries are unsalted" are orders to take inside. You are doing 3 things with special orders - a.) you are making me wait for your order to be made right. b.) you are possibly confusing the order taker. c.)You are making the staff angry. It's fast food. They WILL spit in your food and they will treat me like crap. Quit. You don't get fresher food that way. That's a myth. You get fresh food that has been snot-rocketed in. Quit already.
3. 1 per plus 1. This means that you should only place one order for every one person in your vehicle plus one - AND NO MORE. If you are the guy/gal who has been tasked with getting lunch for your co-workers, or burgers for the picnic, or dinner for the family - go inside. No one needs to wait for you to place 10 orders and no one needs to wait while your 10 orders are cooked before they can get theirs.
4. Be ready to pay and take your food from the window dude. I really don't need to go on about this one.
5. Pull up!!!!!! By not pulling up the the car in front of you, I cannot reach the speaker. It's a short distance line. Be courteous and make sure that those behind you can actually talk back the the speaker. Nothing is more irritating than setting off the "take my order" sensor with the bumper of your car and not being able to talk back or place your order until the person in front of you pulls up. Stop it. Pull up.
The bottom line is this, people. The drive thru is like the express lane at the grocery store. 10 items means 10 items. Sure there are no signs at the restaurant so these rules must be self imposed. I once had an argument with a girlfriend years ago about speed limits. She insisted that the limits were just that, limits; people can go as slow as they want. It's not a speed mandate. She was right, but what I could not make her understand was that while driving slower is logically correct, it was also rude. You may want to drive slow, but the people behind you may not. Inhibiting others is just bad form, rude, and insensitive.
Stop being a jerk at the drive thru.