My photo
I don't really care if you agree or not. Just saying what I think.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I'm So Downtrodden, I'm Successful

The latest "Holy crap I can't believe that this is news" moment has come from the story in the video below. A link to the original clip can be found here.


Let me give you a quick synopsis...
A girl from a high school in D.C. faxed a letter to the White House (read: Michelle Obama) asking her to speak at her school's graduation. No problem. Sounds neat. What bothers me is the content of the letter. before I comment, please review the video. I'll wait.


This girl, in her letter states that she (and people like her - read: black) just don't have a chance and people use unfair stereotypes to get her and people like her down. Having Lady Obama speak at her graduation is essential because it will not only send a positive message to the racist, hate-filled world, but it will embolden her mostly black student body to become more than they have the ability to become in this racist world.

My problem with this is that by the article's own admission, this girl attends a math and science, open enrollment charter school which has "a 99% graduation rate, with 98% of these graduates going to college." What part of her education/career path even fits the assertions in her letter? Her quote: "Where we come from, being a young minority means that we have little chance to succeed" because of incorrect stereotypes. and that "The world already has a pre-determined thought that our generation is full of criminals and concubines." is absurd. This young woman is on the cutting edge of success. I can guarantee that she has never seen real discrimination in her lifetime. The days of Dr. King and Civil Rights are long past, and while there is still some struggle, the asservation that she is somehow underpriveledged in her pursuit of knowledge and success is absurd. What's more absurd is the media lapping this up like it's a feel-good story about how Michelle Obama dropped everything to speak at this event on the whims of a poor student in hopes to magnify the plight of the every day people.

Too bad we don't remember a few short weeks ago, when an entire kindergarten class who saved, rented a tour bus and drove for hours were turned away at the great gate so the President could have lunch with the Steelers. (link)


1 Comment:

  1. TheFirehouse said...
    what a joke! I'm so sick of the "I'm a victim" mentality! Get over it! I'm convinced that the only people that aren't color blind are these people!

Post a Comment