I guess it's time to pull out the asprin. I just read the breakdown of Obama's stimulus package. Let me start by posting this statement by the Great One in his weekly radio address:
"Just this week, we saw more people file for unemployment than at any time in the last 26 years, and experts agree that if nothing is done, the unemployment rate could reach double digits."
He then pleaded for Congress to pass his $825 Billion stimulus that he hopes will generate up to 4 million Jobs over the next 2 years.
His "Economic Stimulus" plan breaks down as follows:
Energy -
$60 Billion for the "smart electricity grid", renewable energy tax cuts and tax credit for research into renewable energy, weatherize homes for the poor.
So far, I am not seeing anything that will add jobs or stimulate the economy. Most of the blue collar sector (auto industry notwithstanding) is in full employment. There aren't too many investment bankers looking to pick up a shovel. And as far as moving America to "Green" energy goes, we already had a quick glimpse of what that does when Bush made us use ethanol. Thanks for the $3.50 gallon of milk and the $1.80 dozen eggs there, Georgie! Obama is going to do the same thing. One energy costs rise, so will the cost of living and the cost of running a business. Gee, I wonder where business make cuts first with their costs rise... hmmm... It is usually benefits and jobs. Way to think that one through, Obama. You know that whole "Auto Industry Crisis" thing? Yeah, the big catalyst was government mandated standards for cars. Now a bunch of people are unemployed. Good Job.
Infrastructure -
$100 Billion on infrastructure like roads, utilities, construction and such.
Again, no new jobs here. The industry is at full employment for jobs like this. Like I said before, there are not too many unemployed office monkeys looking to spread asphalt at low wages. You know, unless they get desperate for work... I guess lowering the bar for acheievement counts as change.
Education -
$140 Billion for schools.
No real stimulation here, that just means that the NEA will get a raise.
Healthcare -
$155 Billion for subsidized healthcare for the unemployed.
Well, that'll get 'em out looking for a job and working again.
The rest of it goes in the form of "tax breaks" for people who don't pay taxes and more corporate bail-out money for failing businesses. - Oh! and more tuition assistance in the form of tax credits, loans, and grants so that my price per credit hour can go up.
Maybe I'm being too harsh, afterall this kind of thing worked for FDR, England in the 70's and Japan in the 90's, right... ?