My photo
I don't really care if you agree or not. Just saying what I think.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Why So Socialist?


This is probably about the funniest thing I have ever seen. Not because it is clever or accurate or even funny - but because of the reaction it is getting. The left is really in a flurry over this picture for some really weird reasons. This morning, between phone calls, I mozied on over to Digg to see what the smart college kids are saying about it.

Well... guess what? Yep. It's racist. Oh yeah. RACIST!! There are several articles out there decrying this "art" as racist. Because and this is so obvious - they took a black man and made him a "white face". I googled "white face" and here are a few things I came up with:

Whiteface Mountain
Whiteface Ski Resort
Whiteface Community Methodist Church
Whiteface Clown
Whiteface Real Estate
Whiteface, TX

Funny, I couldn't find anything about the lost art of black actors painting their face white for the purposes of offensive theater.

Look, this is really a stretch. We all know about 'blackface' theater where white people painted themselves up to look like black people. That was offensive because the makeup was usually midnight black and they painted giant lips on their faces, bones in the hair and other tasteless dressings. But whiteface? If anything this should be offensive to white people...! But I digress.

Anyway back in the Digg-o-sphere it was asserted that anyone could see the Sambo reference. The stated reply was that only a racist would see that type of reference. This challenge was met with this gem of enlightenment:

"only a racist wouldn't. open your eyes. this entire comment section is full of people trying to make some kind of literal, figurative or metaphorical connection between obama and the joker, when it's plainly obvious it's just the photo."

So here is this "smarter than you and me" college kid letting us know that if we try to judge this photo by its deeper meaning or character we are being racist; it would not be racist to see this photo as an offensive depiction of a black man in white makeup.

Way to go, professor! You missed the point. I wonder what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would have to say about it?

Oh yeah. This.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Well done, Dr. King. And way to fail, Digg. By the way, doesn't anyone remember this:

or this:



or this:


...well you get the idea.

1 Comment:

  1. TheFirehouse said...
    Bra-vo

Post a Comment